Sweet n’ Sour Chicken
I asked our Facebook fans for recipes they wanted to see revamped to be 21 Day Fix safe and I got some great responses! The first one that I wanted to try was Sweet n’ Sour chicken! Usually deep fried and coated in a sauce made with a lot of sugar, this recipe isn’t such an easy one to fix…but I did it! The results are a tender, slightly crunchy chicken with a delicious sweet and sour sauce. Best part, it’s totally 21 Day Fix approved and your whole family will love it! This recipe is also awesome for Weight Watchers. It can be mixed with a bunch of zero point veggies for a wonderful meal!
Sweet n' Sour Chicken
- 1 lb. chicken breast cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 2 TBSP cornstarch plus 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 TBSP coconut oil or olive oil if you don't like how coconut oil tastes
Sweet n' Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place chicken cubes into a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cornstarch (reserving 1 tsp) and toss to combine, making sure each piece of chicken is coated evenly.
- Heat up coconut or olive oil in a frying pan, or cast iron pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken, and brown chicken on all sides. Continue to cook until chicken pieces are white throughout.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together honey, vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce, garlic powder and remaining 1 tsp cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to a sauce pot and bring to a low boil over medium heat, mixing just until it begins to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until all chicken is coated and sauce is heated through.
- Serve over brown rice, cauliflower rice, or other veggie of choice.
- Each serving equals 1 red, 1 tsp, and 1/2 orange (measure out a serving use a red container)
- 9 Freestyle points for a 4 oz serving!