Sweet n’ Sour Chicken
I asked our Facebook fans for recipes they wanted to see revamped to be 21 Day Fix safe and I got some great responses! The first one that I wanted to try was Sweet n’ Sour chicken! Usually deep fried and coated in a sauce made with a lot of sugar, this recipe isn’t such an easy one to fix…but I did it! The results are a tender, slightly crunchy chicken with a delicious sweet and sour sauce. Best part, it’s totally 21 Day Fix approved and your whole family will love it!
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 2 TBSP cornstarch, plus 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 TBSP coconut oil, or olive oil if you don’t like how coconut oil tastes
- Sweet n’ Sour Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place chicken cubes into a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cornstarch (reserving 1 tsp) and toss to combine, making sure each piece of chicken is coated evenly.
- Heat up coconut or olive oil in a frying pan, or cast iron pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken, and brown chicken on all sides. Continue to cook until chicken pieces are white throughout.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together honey, vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce, garlic powder and remaining 1 tsp cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to a sauce pot and bring to a low boil over medium heat, mixing just until it begins to thicken.
- Pour sauce over chicken, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until all chicken is coated and sauce is heated through.
- Serve over brown rice, cauliflower rice, or other veggie of choice.
Recipe Good For:
- Each serving equals 1 red, 1 tsp, and 1/2 orange (measure out a serving use a red container)
Leave a Comment