Yellow Curry Chicken w/ Potatoes and Carrots
I totally tricked my husband tonight! I told him that I didn’t feel like cooking and got a treat from our favorite Thai restaurant. He grumbled that it wasn’t on program, but that it’s his favorite so he would eat it. He was probably mad at me for not making something 21 Day Fix approved but being the good husband he is, he obliged. His response, “This is the best yellow curry we have ever gotten from there,” me: “Oh yea? Well I made it and it’s 21 Day Fix approved!” Mic drop!
So yea, this is bomb. That’s all I have to say about it. Make it, enjoy it, don’t feel guilty and pretend you are out at the best Thai restaurant ever! Save your yellow containers though, because it’s especially yummy over some brown rice!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small cubes (I had left over pre-cooked grilled chicken from Trader Joe's so just used that)
- 4-5 small red potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into small rounds
- 7 oz. coconut milk
- 7 oz. coconut cream
- Yellow curry paste (this can be found at speciality shops like Cost Plus World Market or Whole foods)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsps honey (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent and soft.
- Add chicken and curry paste and sauté until chicken is browned on both sides (approx. 4-5 minutes). If chicken is pre-cooked, just mix until all coated with curry paste.
- Add potatoes and carrots and mix until everything is well coated.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper.
- Pour in coconut milk and coconut cream and 1/4 cup water.
- Heat until boiling, then reduce to a simmer. Put a lid on the pot and cook for 20-25 minutes until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- Add honey and mix. (This will add a delicious sweetness to the dish, but is optional)
- Serve over 1/2 cup of brown rice, veggies, or just on it's own!
- Each serving equals 1 ❤️, 1 💙 , .5 💚, 1.5 💛, and 1 tsp.
- If serving over rice add 1 yellow
- If serving over veggies add 1 green
- *Coconut Cream is 21 Day Fix approved and counts towards your blue container. It is quite high in fat, so if you want to reduce the fat amount just use a full can of coconut milk. Your curry won't be as creamy but it will still taste amazing!
- **This does use a lot of yellow containers which I know are very special. You can eliminate potatoes and only use carrots which will reduce the recipe by 1 yellow!