Sweet Potato-Carrot Casserole
This recipe was featured on The Today Show and while marshmallows are not 21 Day Fix approved (leave them off if you want an extra gold star!), this traditionally heavy side dish has been slimmed-down with yummy carrots and vanilla almond milk instead of sugar! *Photo featured from Shutterstock.com
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bag (1 pound) baby carrots, each cut into 2 to 3 pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter (grass fed, kerrygold is best)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- Place sweet potatoes and carrots in large saucepan or pot, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until easily pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain, and return to pan. Heat over medium, stirring, until liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Add milk, butter and cinnamon, and mash until smooth (or put in food processor/blender).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish. Top with marshmallows and bake until marshmallows are lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe Good For:
- Each serving would equal 1 yellow, 1 green, and 1 tsp. If you add the marshmallows, count an extra tsp or 1.5 yellow!
Leave a Comment