21 Day Fix Friendly Green Bean Casserole
Thanksgiving is upon us and I am going to share a 21 Day Fix Friendly Thanksgiving recipe for the next 3 days! First up, Green Bean Casserole! One of my favorites. *Photo featured is from Betty Crocker.
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2” pieces
- Cooking Spray
- 10 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk (almond is fine as well but cashew is creamier and will work better for this recipe)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
Crunchy Onion Topping
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3-4 small onions, thinly sliced into circles
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, raw and scrambled in a bowl
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a large baking dish with cooking spray, approx. size 9×13 and set aside
- Bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil in a large pot. Add beans, and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5-6 minutes until beans are tender but not too soft.
- While beans are cooking, place breadcrumbs and salt and pepper on a large plate. Dredge onions in the scrambled egg (drop the onions into the egg mixture and then lift out, letting excess egg drain off, drop onto the plate of breadcrumbs and coat).
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 tsps of olive oil over medium high heat. Add coated onions and lightly fry until onions are golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a plate with paper towel to drain excess oil. Set aside.
- Once green beans are done cooking, drain and pour into a bowl of ice water so they stop cooking.
- In the same saute pan used for the onions, add another 1 tsp of olive oil and add mushrooms. Cook until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour. Stir to coat the mushrooms in flour. Slowly pour cashew (or almond) milk and whisk while pouring, until no lumps are left. Add water, Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and whisk again.
- Bring to a boil and keep stirring until sauce begins to thicken. This will take a few minutes.
- Once sauce is thick, drain the green beans and add to sauce, coating until every green bean is covered. Transfer to your prepared baking dish.
- Top with fried onions and bake for 25-30 minutes until heated all the way through.
- Serve immediately while warm!
Recipe Good For:
- Each serving in a green container equals 1 green , 1/4 yellow, 1/4 blue, 1/4 red
Leave a Comment