Shepard’s Pie w/ Cauliflower Mash Crust
Normally made with a rich mashed potato crust, Shepard’s Pie isn’t that good for you…but I wanted some, so I made a Fix approved version :). The best part about this version, it barely uses any of those coveted yellow containers. Yay!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 6-8 oz low sugar marinara sauce
- 1/2 carrot, finely diced
- 1 TBSP lowfat milk
- 4 tsps grass fed cow butter
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 4 blue containers of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 yellow container whole wheat bread crumbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic power to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large frying pan, cook onion until glassy over medium high in 1 tsp of butter. Set aside in a bowl. Brown turkey in same frying pan. Drain fat. Add marinara sauce and Worcestershire plus a few sprinkles of salt and pepper. Mix all together. Add diced carrots and onion. Mix all together.
- While meat is browning or once it is finished, steam your cauliflower. I use a steamer basket and steam until fork tender. You can also microwave with a bit of water in a microwaveable safe dish or just add right into boiling water and cook until fork tender. Any way works! Once cauliflower is soft, drain and mash. Add milk, butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mash until desired consistency. I don’t mind it a bit chunky, but if you prefer smooth you can pulse it a few times in a food processor.
- Pour meat into a 1.5-2.5 quart baking dish.
- Pour cauliflower mixture over the top of the meat and spread down smooth. Top with cheese and bread crumbs, garlic powder and a bit more salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and heated all the way through.
Leave a Comment