Beef & Butternut Squash Stew
I had an entire butternut squash and felt like making a warm and filling fall dish! I found a highly rated Beef and Butternut Squash Stew from Giada De Laurentiis and made some changes to make it 21 Day Fix approved. It turned out really well. It’s hearty, delicious and perfect for the cool fall days ahead!
- 1 lb. lean stew beef, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 pound butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or 1/2 TBSP minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1/2 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 cup low sodium tomato paste
- 1/2 cup marsala or dry white wine
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme and sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
- While onions are cooking, toss beef cubes in whole wheat flour, cayenne and salt and pepper.
- Add beef cubes to pot and turn heat up to medium high. Brown beef until all sides are golden brown.
- Add wine to pot. Stir to bring all brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add butternut squash and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Pour just enough beef broth in the pot to cover the beef and butternut squash.
- Bring stew to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with a lid for 1 hour.
- Add a bit more salt and pepper as desired once stew has completely cooked.
- Serve over brown rice, with whole wheat bread or by itself!
Leave a Comment